Monday, June 1, 2009

End of May Garden Info

So far, so good. Because of the rain some things are a little yellow, but I think they are about to get a break now. Quite a few things popped up during those stormy weeks that I couldn't get out often enough to really check things out. Things are growing!! Go figure, they were able to get pollinated without my help LOL. I might even get one ear of corn out of things this year - bigger than 2"!

A Zucc growing from the spare a square program :) .


Tomato!! Last year these didn't grow (too hot), then in the fall they started to grow but the freeze in the winter killed them. This I think will be my first successful batch of tomatoes. Salsa & ketchup here we come!



I got more squares prepped this weekend for fall. I'm going to have to start planning the fall garden soon so that I am ready. The sweet potato vines have FINALLY started digging into the soil. for a while they just wanted to grow and be free, but they have rooted themselves now. I hope we get at least as good a harvest as last year. Only one box full this year though.


In June I'm going to focus on clean up around the boxes. When I made them I couldn't afford new mulch so I used a combination of old mulch from the front yard we had redone, and then added bags of raked leaves in the winter to cover the weed fabric. Well, as you can imagine it is quite messy and the weeds sprouted from all of the reused items and have taken over. So my plan is to buy a few bags of mulch a week and work on a small area at a time to get it looking pretty.


Here's my measly harvest of potatoes... Small and not very many. The upper portion had wilted and died off though so I dug them out. I don't know if it was because they were just from the store that I started them with. Or I didn't cover the leaves well enough? Whatever it was, at least I got a few!


No comments:

Post a Comment