Thursday, July 23, 2009

Almost ready... I get to plant again soon!

The countdown is on for August. I get back from the beach on August 1st and I don't think anyone would be surprised to find me out back putting in seeds. :)

I have decided that I am going to just plant my seedlings early instead of trying to keep them alive while I am gone. If they survive, great! If they don't, well I can just plant the seeds when I get back. Just trying to get an extra start.

The horse manure is spread and I have 5 extra bags, plus a big plastic container full left over. I will need some when I pull the sweet potatoes out in October. Other than that I guess I will just continue to compost it. I may add it to my leaf pile and let them compost together.

So there is one of my boxes before I worked it into the remaining mix. I was 6 inches low on this one. There's a bunch of dainty ground cover around that box. I am torn about removing it. One, it has such pretty flowers that the bees and butterflies are always visiting - that's good! Plus, I like the way it looks. On the other hand, I read that "weeds" around the boxes encourage bad insects to nest. Good insects, bad insects.... they both like the same spot. What to do, what to do.

The corn is going in this box. I hope the netting will keep the raccoons out. If it doesn't I'll go up another 3ft around it and will have to figure out some way to actually access the garden myself LOL. It's slightly floppy plastic netting so that they can't get a good climb on it. DH says they'll probably just chew through it. I hope not! Maybe if I toss some squirrel food (mostly corn) out behind the fence they'll just happily eat that. haha!

Alrighty, I'm off to get things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment