Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Horse Manure - it's a Beautiful thing!

I found some horse manure compost on Craig's list and today Jake and I headed out to the farm to load it up. It was $10 a truck bed load. I know some people say don't pay, you can find it for free. But this farm was close and why shouldn't they make money from it? If I ever have extra bunny poo I would try to sell it to make something back from the food and care I put into him.

Since we don't have a truck, it was filling the trunk with garbage bags full for us. I shoveled up 18 bags of manure, heaved them into the trunk, got them home, heaved them out of the trunk into the wheelbarrow, then out of the wheelbarrow and over to the beds. My first 4x4 bed was so low that it took six bags to fill it. I'm so glad I do alot of heavy weightlifting when I workout because flinging around 50lb bags of manure wasn't as hard. So, I did skip my workout today because I figure that is a good one in itself!

The guy was so nice. He told us to come back tomorrow and fill the trunk up again so make sure we got our money's worth. I am taking him up on it, but told him what I got was already cheaper than the box store. Plus he's going to let Jake ride one of the horses when we go back tomorrow. And this is GOOD stuff, tons of worms. After I filled my first bed I stepped back and looked at it and it was moving. I'm taking Ted along after work so he can heave the bags instead of me LOL. I actually enjoy the shoveling part.

With my 18 bags I topped off almost 6 beds. I went out and looked at it and it just looks so rich and ready for planting. Several of the beds had just been "watered" with worm tea this weekend that I had brewed up. Then I brewed up some bunny poo tea and poured that on. Then also spread the bunny poo over the beds. Now they're topped off with horse manure. I'm very hopeful about this fall's turnout. I have the compost from my previous mixing (cow, mushroom, chicken, worm castings), with all of this good stuff added in. I will work the manure into the beds better after we get it all and I'm not so tired. Maybe I'll even let it settle while we're on vacation next week and do that when I get back.

Anyway, I'm very happy about horse manure. How crazy is that? :) :) :)

2 comments:

  1. Let us know how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a good find! I agree that paying a little for something so helpful isn't bad--especially only $10 a truck load.

    ReplyDelete